Overview of Delta Air Lines
Delta Air Lines, commonly shortened to Delta, is one of the oldest and most reputable airlines in the world. It operates non-stop flights to more than 330 destinations in 64 countries across six inhabited continents. Its fleet is diverse, consisting of Delta One, First Class, Business Class, Delta Comfort+, Main Cabin, and Basic Economy.
Delta Air Lines Baggage Allowance Policy
Delta Air Lines offering multiple travelling classes is great and all, but the variables can become a bit confusing. One of the most concerning aspects is the baggage allowance. Worry not, as the CabinZero Crew has got you covered. Keep scrolling to read our most comprehensive breakdown of the rather baffling baggage allowance of Delta Air Lines.
Passengers are allowed to bring on-board one carry-on baggage and one personal item. Delta does specify what your carry-on baggage and personal item should be. Your cabin bag should be either:
- Camera bag;
- Diaper bag;
- Laptop bag;
- Or any similar items.
In addition to your free carry-on baggage and personal item, the following items are allowed on-board:
- A jacket and/or an umbrella;
- Duty-free merch;
- Items purchased post-security;
- Special items (strollers, child restraint seats; or assistive devices like wheelchairs or crutches).
1. Size Restrictions
Your carry-on shouldn’t exceed 22 x 14 x 9 in (56 x 35 x 23cm) in dimensions and your personal item shouldn’t exceed 16 x 12 x 6 in (40 x 30 x 15cm). It is also noted that, all of these items must:
Fit completely into the baggage gauge at check-in (including handles, pocket, and wheels);
Fit in the overhead cabins and/or the under-seat compartment.
Exception: All passengers travelling to/from Key West, Florida are not allowed to bring any bags on-board, only check-in bags.
2. Weight Restrictions
Delta doesn’t restrict baggage weight. However, in order to comply with the airport’s regulations, there are weight limit apply to baggage of passengers travelling to these airports:
Singapore – Changi International Airport. The maximum weight is 15 lbs (7kg);
Beijing – Beijing Capital International Airport, Shanghai – Pudong International Airport, and the Civil Aviation Administration of China. The maximum weight is 22 lbs (10 kg);
The checked baggage allowance varies wildly depending on boarding fare. However, all checked bags must follow these requirements:
- Maximum weight of 50 lbs (23 kg) in weight per bag and maximum 62 in (158 cm) in cumulative size for Economy Class passengers. The price for each piece of baggage will be detailed below;
- Maximum weight of 70 lbs (32 kg) in weight per bag and maximum 62 in (158 cm) in cumulative size for Delta One, First, and Business Class passengers. These passengers can check in up to 2 pieces of baggage for free.
*The rules for Economy fliers go as follow:
- The 1st checked bag ranges from free to $60 per flight, depending on route;
- The 2nd checked bag ranges from free to $100 per flight, depending on route;
Note that all passengers travelling to or from Key West, Florida are limited to one checked bag only, whether it is charged or not.
Card Membership Perks
Passengers who own Delta SkyMiles Medallion Member Card and SkyMiles® American Express Credit Member Card are allotted one free checked bag. After the first bag, normal rules apply.
1. Extra check-in bags
Passengers travelling on flights operated by Delta or Delta Shuttle® can check in up to 10 bags, while that number for flights operated by Delta Connection® is 4;
The 3rd checked bag ranges from $150-285 per flight, depending on route;
From the 4th checked bag to the 10th, the price ranges from $200-285 depending on route.
2. Overweight baggage
Delta’s overweight baggage policies go as follow:
- Any baggage exceeding 50lbs (23 kg) but are still under 70 lbs (32 kg), will be surcharged $100-150 depending on route;
- Any baggage exceeding 70 lbs (32 kg) but are still under 100 lbs (45 kg), will be surcharged $200;
- Any baggage exceeding 100 lbs (45 kg) will have to be transported as cargo.
Any baggage exceeding 100 lbs (45 kg) won’t be allowed on the following routes:
- Between North/South/Central America & Europe or North Africa;
- Between North America and San Pedro Sula, Honduras or San Salvador, El Salvador;
- To / from / within Australia and New Zealand.
3. Oversized baggage
Delta’s oversized baggage policies go as follow:
- Any baggage exceeding 63 in (160 cm) but still under 80 in (203 cm) in cumulative dimensions will be surcharged $200-300 depending on route;
- Any baggage exceeding 70 in (203 cm) will have to be transported as cargo.
Yes. Delta offers prepay services so that you can book or luggage online. It’s noted that you should do so at least 24 hours prior to your flight. In order to prepay, you can either download the Fly Delta app, or refer to Delta’s website.
Any child or infants travelling on their parents’ lap won’t be allowed any baggage slot. However, the accompanying parents are allowed to bring one of these following items:
- Booster seat or other infant seat;
- Breast pump and associated cooler bag.