Overview of Air Canada Airlines
Air Canada Airlines, founded in 1937, is regarded as one of Canada's most prominent commercial airlines. It is the flag carrier and the largest airline of Canada by passengers carried and fleet size. Air Canada serves around 200 locations across the continent - with direct flights to 62 Canadian cities, 53 US cities, and 100 cities in Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Australia, the Caribbean, Mexico, and South America.
Air Canada Airlines Baggage Allowance Policy
If you expect to fly with Air Canada anytime soon, we believe this is an excellent option for you. Depending on the price category, quality of service, and destination, Air Canada airline allows you to bring free standard checked luggage.
Standard Carry-On Baggage Policy
Baggage allowance is provided by Air Canada Airlines for all fares, from economy to business class. Air Canada, in particular, lets passengers bring the following items with them at no additional cost:
- Free one personal item up to 16 x 33 x 43 cm (6 x 13 x 17 inches)
- Free one standard bag with these following sizes:
+ Economy class passengers can check up to 2 bags, each cannot exceed 9 x 15,5 x 21,5 inch (23 x 40 x 55 cm) in dimensions;
+ Business class passengers can check up to 3 bags, each cannot exceed 9 x 15,5 x 21,5 inch (23 x 40 x 55 cm)
- There is no weight limit for the carry-on baggage, but it must be light enough to be stored in the underseat cabin in front of you, or in the overhead bin.
- You can either carry a diaper bag, stroller (the collapsed size can’t exceed 25.5 cm x 92 cm / 10 x 36 inches), or a tiny wallet measuring no more than 25 x 30 x 14 cm (10 x 12 x 5.5 inches).
Carry-On Baggage Allowance For Infants & Children
Air Canada allows you to bring one additional standard piece of luggage for your child's belongings. You can also bring a stroller for your babies. Smaller strollers should be checked at the luggage checkpoint or at the boarding gate. The dimensions of the stroller shall not exceed a retractable diameter of 10 inches (25.5 cm) and a length of 36 inches (92 cm).
Air Canada enables you to carry luggage weighing up to 23 kg (50 lbs) per bag and with a total permitted size of 158 cm (62 in). The amount of checked luggage allowed by Air Canada is determined by the fare and the route you travel, for example:
- Maximum bag weight: 23 kg (50 lbs)
- Maximum total size per bag: 158 cm (62 inches)
To check an exact checked baggage allowance and additional fees (if any) following the route and class you’re flying, please refer to this checked baggage calculator from the airline’s website.
Standard Checked Baggage Fees By Area:
Notes: Currently, Air Canada offers a lot of ticket choices as well as a number of convenient services. Latitude tickets offer two free checked bags, while Flex and Comfort fares include the first checked bag for free (available on domestic routes and flights between the United States and Canada). For a more detailed policy of the checked baggage charges depending on your itinerary, please refer to the Air Canada website here
1. Checked Baggage Policy About Special Items
Special items are normally permitted on flight as checked luggage. Some products, however, are subject to a handling fee. For example, bicycles are subject to a $50-59 surcharge for a one-way flight. When booking airline tickets, you should inform the airline staff about any special luggage you can have so that they can have the best preparation for you.
2. Checked Baggage Policy About Pets
Pets are permitted to join passengers on flights if the following standards are fulfilled:
Pets can move around in the cage.
The weight limit of the pet and the cage surpasses 45 kg (100 lbs). The cage measures 292 cm in total (115 inches)
Prices differ depending on where you accommodate your pet on board, whether you put them in the cabin or in the baggage compartment. Details can be found here.
Excess baggage fee varies depending on the pick up and drop off location.
For routes between U.S. and Canada:
- An additional bag costs $100-$105;
- Overweight bags from 50 to 70 lbs (23 to 32 kg) cost $100-$105;
- Oversized bags from 63 to 115 inches (160 to 292 cm) cost $100-$105;
For routes between U.S. and Mexico/Costa Rica/Caribbean/Bermuda and routes between Canada and other intl destinations:
- An additional bag costs $225-$265.50;
- Overweight bags from 50 to 70 lbs (23 to 32 kg) cost $100-$118;
- Oversized bags from 63 to 115 inches (160 to 292 cm) cost $100-$118;
For travel within Canada:
- An additional bag costs $105-$115;
- Overweight bags from 50 to 70 lbs (23 to 32 kg) cost $105-$115;
- Oversized bags from 63 to 115 inches (160 to 292 cm) cost $105-$115 ;
For a full list of fees and extra charges related to baggage and optional services, please refer to Air Canada’s website
Many items are not technically forbidden but must be carried on your checked luggage. Additionally, the following items are not permitted in carry-on luggage:
- Backpack for Avalanche Rescue
- Bicycle pneumatic machine
If cancelled more than 24 hours before the scheduled flight, Air Canada baggage costs are 100% refundable.
Cancellation requests for Air Canada baggage fees made within 24 hours of planned arrival are non-refundable. If a passenger's baggage is delayed or damaged for any reason, Air Canada's baggage waiver will be applied as a credit.