KLM Airlines Cabin Bags
Overview of KLM Airlines
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, normally referred to as KLM Airlines, is Netherland’s flagship air firm. It is the oldest airline to this day, and still remains one of the largest and most reliable. Its fleets fly to 163 destinations all over the world, of which 76 are international and 87 European.
KLM Airlines Baggage Allowance Policy
KLM airlines offers three-cabin configuration: Business Class, Economy Comfort and Economy Class. It’s fortunate that KLM baggage policy isn’t quite as convoluted as some other airlines, but it’s still undeniably complicated. Worry not, as the CabinZero Crew has got you covered. Keep scrolling to read our most comprehensive breakdown of the rather baffling baggage allowance of Emirates.
The number of carry-on baggage passengers can bring on-board depends on their boarding class. Please refer below for the baggage allowance per class:
- Economy Class passengers can bring 1 piece of hand baggage and 1 piece of accessory, both can not exceed a total weight of 26.5 lbs (12 kg);
- Business Class passengers can bring 2 pieces of hand baggage and 1 piece of accessory, both can not exceed a total weight of 40 lbs (18kg);
Your baggage should conform to the dimension restrictions, in that:
- The hand baggage should be under 22 x 14 x 10 in (55 x 35 x 25 cm), including handles and wheels;
- The accessory (such as a small handbag or laptop bag) should be under 16 x 12 x 6 in (40 x 30 x 15 cm).
If you’re boarding a Light ticket, and there isn’t enough room left in the overhead cabin to port your baggage, you may be asked to check it in the hold at the check-in desk. This will be free of charge.
The baggage allowance will vary depending on ticket type and route. Please refer below for baggage allowance per ticket type:
- Economy Light passengers aren’t permitted to check in any luggage for free;
- Economy Standard and Flex passengers can check in 1 piece of luggage of maximum 62 in (158 cm) and 50 lbs (23 kg) each in weight;
- Economy Standard and Flex passengers can check in 2 pieces of luggage of maximum 62 in (158 cm) and 70 lbs (32 kg) each in weight;
Do note that, if you’re travelling as a Blue Silver, Gold and Platinum member or a SkyTeam Elite/ Elite Plus member, you are allowed an additional item of check-in baggage that conforms to the allowance in the table.
Sporting equipment and musical instruments
1. Sporting equipment
It’s recommended that you contact the customer service at least 48 hours prior to boarding your flight to make appropriate reservations and pay the fees.
KLM Airline doesn’t have a universal restriction for all common sports equipment, instead each equipment is given a detailed instruction. Please refer to the Sport equipment guide on KLM Airlines’ official website to check the specific requirements as well as fee.
2. Musical instrument
You can bring it in the cabin if it conforms to the regular restrictions mentioned above. Do keep in mind that if it’s edging the restrictions, it will be counted as a piece.
If your instrument is over the restrictions, but still under 55 in (140 cm) and 100 lbs (45 kg) and you want to have it on board with you, you must book an extra ticket and contact the customer service.
If your instrument exceeds 100 lbs (45 kg) and 118 in (300 cm), it can be transported as a checked baggage, only as a cargo, in which case cargo fee will apply.
Lufthansa allows passengers to go over the limit for checked baggage via online booking. It is recommended that the passengers who wish to check-in more luggage should do so at least 24 prior to their scheduled flight. Should they do so, the prices will be:
+ £16.7 – 58.4 on flights within Europe;
+ £25 – 200 on international flights.
If they don’t book extra baggage and show up at the airport with overweight and oversized baggage, they must incur a fee. In which case, the prices will be:
+ £58.4 – 167 on flights within Europe;
+ £62.5 – 250 on international flights.
Do note that once the baggage exceeds the maximum cumulative size of 118 in (300 cm) and 70 lbs (32 kg), it will be transported as cargo.
If you’re travelling on Economy ticket with KLM Airlines, or its subsidiary Air France, and you have membership card, you can enjoy some perks when it comes to extra baggage, specifically:
- Flying Blue Explorer members will receive a discount of up to £8 on the first extra item of checked baggage when you purchase it at least 24 hours before departure;
- Flying Blue Silver, Gold, or Platinum members can always check-in one extra baggage free of charge.
FAQs about KLM Airlines Baggage Allowance
It depends on whether or not they are travelling on their own ticket. If they do travel on their own ticket, then the same rules apply as is. If they are travelling with their parents, i.e. sitting on their parents’ lap, then the accompanying parent shall bring an extra hand baggage of maximum 22 x 14 x 10 in (55 x 35 x 25 cm) in size.
Unfortunately, to ensure the safety of the boarding passengers as well as the animals themselves, KLM Airlines only allows pet cats and dogs to travel. Because there is limited space on the aircraft, it is recommended that passengers who wish to travel with their pets make the reservations as soon as booking their flights, or no later than the 48 hours mark prior to departure.